Skip to main content

Hostel Etiquette: Toilet


Hello dear world. Trying to stick to my resolution to blog and thus I abandoned my study plan NOOOO! Haha nah not really (I think). 

I've been living in hostels for close to 3 years now, one year in KMK and 2 years in KTSN. It is meager compared to many other people who have stayed in MRSMs or Sekolah Asrama Penuh for almost their whole lives but 3 years is still something right? =D Makes me qualified as a hostel 'reviewer'? XD Hahaha.

Anyway, what makes life in hostel good? Or for those people who've spent their whole life at home, who is too used to home life that at most, hostel life can only be bearable? One, good room. Adequate space, which my room has (wee~). Good lighting (Not so check. I never liked fluorescent lights but then better than those orange downlights. Too romantic until I cannot concentrate on my studies XD) And the list goes on and on.

Second, TOILETS. Okay, here is usually my source of frustration. Most of the toilets in our hostel is the squatting type toilets, like so:

The place where you squat down to pee (For women. If guys do this, I have nothing to say...) with indented ovals on either side of the main lubang for you to stand on, give you grip so you don't slip and one of your legs get stuck inside the draining hole and your hostel mates have to call the bomba just to release your leg.

ANYWAY, you know what I'm talking about.

Basic toilet etiquette: Flush after use. That's what most people do. Or at least hose the bowl (I dunno what is it call so I shall call it bowl even though it resembles a plate more).

And so that's what everyone does.

BUT?


Observe: Bowl is very clean that it's almost shiny. But look carefully! There are 'runaway' urine collected at the oval places!

Zoom in somemore:

(Actually I don't like grammatically incorrect Malay don't know why I wrote in sms language malay at that time. So I shall correct it here: You tahu, I tahu kenapa dia warna ni. Haha)

So, this is one of my pet peeves about hostel toilets: Pools of urine at the oval places. Not only males have inproper aim, females have too and it leads to the above mentioned incidents.


But why people still ignore it?! I cannot comprehend why people can ignore the pool of urine and just walk out of the toilet with it 'staring blatantly at your face'. WHY!? Some people can flush when they enter toilet, and flush when they finish their business. Frankly, I don't know what's the point of this. Maybe they think flushing will make the smell go away? But there are pools of urine around!!! The smell is from there not the draining hole!

So here is the deal: Flushing, is not enough.

You must wash the surrounding area of the squatting place with water and make it free of urine pools so all toilet users will be happy =D Just a simple extra step and our toilets will be less stinky. Stink free is impossible la so I won't set an unrealistic goal =P

Tada! Here ends my ranting about improper toilet etiquette and what you should do to make life for other people living with you more bearable =D

Comments

  1. this is soo true and funny how you describe it with all the doodles and details, haha !!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha!!! Soooooo true! Eh btw i miss your handwriting & doodles, lama tak tengok dah.. :P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How I became a barista and how it's like working as one.

It surprises me that people still don't know what does 'barista' means. Barista is defined as ' a person whose job involves preparing and serving different types of coffee'. I was working as one for 5 months and basically, I make coffee and serve it to customers. It's my longest job to date, providing me something legal to do and earning some pocket money during my wait (still waiting for at time of writing. 9 months and counting.) (I'm putting the word 'legal' in because I'm still feeling a bit bitter about the fact that some of my friends actually took the opportunity to do illegal locum. Hey ho, that's people to you.) After my final professional examination (which was in August 2015), I told myself to enjoy my holidays but as usual, I got bored and restless and found myself a job as a research assistant. But it wasn't a satisfying job because: 1. I have to travel all the way to PJ on weekdays. 2. Get stuck in the jam for a total

SOULed OUT

I'm gonna talk about FOOD again! My favourite blogging topic muahahaha. I have other passions too but there are all pretty... Scientific? Haha they will bore you to death. So yea, food is the best topic to blog about =) Especially here in Malaysia food connects us all. I've only met a person who doesn't enjoy eating (WHY!?). She is weird (You know who you are haha) First, a HUGE cup of coffee to awaken your senses. My daddy always order a kopi O whenever possible. I think he fancies himself as a Kopi O connoisseur haha =3 But I keep my distance from coffee. Coffee makes me jittery and anxious. Even drinking tea makes my heart go on overdrive grr. Mummy has been wanting to visit SOULed OUT since awhile ago but we just didn't get around to visiting the place, until today. SOULed OUT has two branches but we went to the one in Sri Hartamas. Took us quite some time (and a lot of help from iPhone's Maps application) but we manage to find the place. The location

Cool air

Because nothing beats naturally cool weather =) Was up in Cameron Highlands last weekend. And on the way up we realised: My bro has car sickness. That aside, it was a very uneventful trip. My dad thought me something too! Have you ever seen step-like slopes along the roads that are cut out from the mountains? Those are known as... Ba... Err, I forgot. But you know what it is. Apparently according to Malaysian regulations, they must not be more than 6 per slope and each step must not be more than 6 meters high. But that's not the case for most of the slopes. Please, those slopes are SO high you cannot possibly limit the steps to only 6! So, like most Malaysian rules, it can be altered to suit the case. You know, altered. Anyway, engineering is fascinating =) Especially about airports! And my dad loves them too. I suspect I'm very much like my dad. When he loves something he will babble on and on and on about it, usually to a person who will not be listening to him at all. Ki