Skip to main content

Malaysian Aboriginals

Ever thought of Orang Asli or Malaysian Aboriginals?

Until recently, I thought Orang Asli are bumiputras such as Kadazandusuns, Iban, Bajaus, Bidayuh, but not Malays. Sometimes, I even use the terms interchangeably. My mom always gave me a weird look when I talk about my 'Orang Asli' friends from university.

When I went to Taman Negara a while back, I was cleared of my misconceptions. Orang Asli are not the ethnic groups from Sabah/Sarawak. They are Orang Asli, another ethnic group on its own. How come I never knew that? Either I have studied it in Sejarah but don't remember it (Hey, who else remembered the contents of Wawasas 2020 which I tried to etch it into my mind the night before SPM paper? I don't. None of it. Conclusion: No one remembers what is mentioned in sejarah textbook.) or it is not mentioned in our history syllabus. If it is the latter, I am really pissed off because as the first settlers of peninsula Malaysia, shouldn't they provide more weight to our history textbook?

Now I know Orang Asli are bumiputras, I know they have the same rights as Malays and the East Malaysian ethnic groups. But when you see their lifestyle, you cringe and wonder: If Malaysia is as prosperous as our politicians say, such that they can even pinch a bit of our prosperity occasionally, why the heck aren't the Orang Asli prospering as well? A 1997 research showed that 80% of Orang Asli live below the poverty line. When I visited the Orang Asli settlement, I doubt that the number has changed much. Probably the percentage of poverty has reduced but not much.

Let's talk about the settlement. They still live in houses hand built from dried leafs and gathered wood, probably rattan (They don't build proper houses. Once someone in their village dies, they will shift somewhere else and build houses at another site. They are nomads). The kids run around unsupervised. There are trash everywhere. EVERYWHERE. It was heartbreaking and such a disgusting sight to behold. The people? They are great and willing to help. The children wear clothes which was probably given to them by visitors. The men are curious and the women are shy. The kids are super duper cute. AAAANNNNND, the most surprising thing about them (To me at least):

They look like black people (Or it's cruder synonym: Negros)


Apparently they are related to the ethnic people of Papua New Guinea. You know, the ones who are black but has blonde hair? See! I know about the ethnics of Papua but I don't even know about Malaysian Orang Asli! Is there something wrong with the way I read, i.e. too much Western publications? But seriously, I don't think there is much publications about our Orang Asli pun. They need a better AJK Publicity (Hoi Jabatan Hal Ehwal Orang Asli, publisiti baik sikit boleh tak?)

Oh PS: Orang Asli are related to the ethnic groups of Papua New Guinea. They travelled here and became the first settlers of this peninsula :)

Seriously, this fact has surprised me so much when I first stepped into the settlement. BLACK PEOPLE!? BLACK PEOPLE HERE IN MALAYSIA?! Well, now I know. They are not 'Black people' but Orang Asli.

My dad asked a really good question when our guide told us the Orang Asli didn't want to leave their nomadic lifestyle eventhough after government's persuasion. 'You sure they didn't want to leave or are you sure our government asked?' I actually don't doubt that the government tried to ask the tribes to live a more modern lifestyle but are they convincing enough? Did they show them how the world is now? Open up their eyes to the 21st century? Maybe they didn't, that's why they are stuck in an era, centuries past. Or maybe they did, but they are just reluctant to leave their traditional lifestyle (My dad's other question as a response to this: You sure? You sure they want to live like this?). Either way, it is something to think about.

We had a walk around the settlement on our own. Then I saw something that was really... Sigh. We saw a little boy, 3-4 years old. With kwashiorkor. KWASHIORKOR in Malaysia. We always see that when we they show posters of malnourished children in Africa but this is in Malaysia. The kid was climbing around on the dirt, the dad beside him but wasn't taking notice of him. Then the kid just dug his hand into the dirt and gobbled down the dirt. Oh my gosh. Eating dirt. I... And you see so many obese people in Kuala Lumpur waddling around. Let the kid take a bite of your fat better than eating dirt. At least he won't get kwashiorkor. Heartbreaking.

Before I end, here is a photo of the tribe chief showing us how he lights a fire. Want to know how he gets to be the chief? It's not because his dad is the ex-chief. The chief is always the 'medic', the one with the most medical knowledge within the group. He is the traditional meds/ob-gyn/er/orthopaedic/paeds/etc doctor all rolled into one. Haha. Probably not a dentist though. An oral surgeon maybe (to extract teeth) but definitely not a periodontist. He is constantly puffing on a cigarette and even though he is considered young, he has lost many of his teeth. Periodontal prognosis: POOR! 


I just can't stop thinking though. White people colonised the lands of the Red Indians (North Americas), Maori (New Zealand), Aboriginals (Australia). The indigenous then have special rights. Not the colonisers. Then in Malaysia?

Comments

  1. me too ! when i first visited Taman Negara , i had a shock of my life seeing the Orang Asli just like the Africans. it´s an educating trip nevertheless .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How I became a barista and how it's like working as one.

It surprises me that people still don't know what does 'barista' means. Barista is defined as ' a person whose job involves preparing and serving different types of coffee'. I was working as one for 5 months and basically, I make coffee and serve it to customers. It's my longest job to date, providing me something legal to do and earning some pocket money during my wait (still waiting for at time of writing. 9 months and counting.) (I'm putting the word 'legal' in because I'm still feeling a bit bitter about the fact that some of my friends actually took the opportunity to do illegal locum. Hey ho, that's people to you.) After my final professional examination (which was in August 2015), I told myself to enjoy my holidays but as usual, I got bored and restless and found myself a job as a research assistant. But it wasn't a satisfying job because: 1. I have to travel all the way to PJ on weekdays. 2. Get stuck in the jam for a total

SOULed OUT

I'm gonna talk about FOOD again! My favourite blogging topic muahahaha. I have other passions too but there are all pretty... Scientific? Haha they will bore you to death. So yea, food is the best topic to blog about =) Especially here in Malaysia food connects us all. I've only met a person who doesn't enjoy eating (WHY!?). She is weird (You know who you are haha) First, a HUGE cup of coffee to awaken your senses. My daddy always order a kopi O whenever possible. I think he fancies himself as a Kopi O connoisseur haha =3 But I keep my distance from coffee. Coffee makes me jittery and anxious. Even drinking tea makes my heart go on overdrive grr. Mummy has been wanting to visit SOULed OUT since awhile ago but we just didn't get around to visiting the place, until today. SOULed OUT has two branches but we went to the one in Sri Hartamas. Took us quite some time (and a lot of help from iPhone's Maps application) but we manage to find the place. The location

Cool air

Because nothing beats naturally cool weather =) Was up in Cameron Highlands last weekend. And on the way up we realised: My bro has car sickness. That aside, it was a very uneventful trip. My dad thought me something too! Have you ever seen step-like slopes along the roads that are cut out from the mountains? Those are known as... Ba... Err, I forgot. But you know what it is. Apparently according to Malaysian regulations, they must not be more than 6 per slope and each step must not be more than 6 meters high. But that's not the case for most of the slopes. Please, those slopes are SO high you cannot possibly limit the steps to only 6! So, like most Malaysian rules, it can be altered to suit the case. You know, altered. Anyway, engineering is fascinating =) Especially about airports! And my dad loves them too. I suspect I'm very much like my dad. When he loves something he will babble on and on and on about it, usually to a person who will not be listening to him at all. Ki